I’m a foreign worker who lived in Philippine since April, 2014. So That was my first experience what about custom of Philippine’s new year. My friend (she is my boss’s girlfriend) prepared some dinner for last night of 2014. So It was a great opportunity to meet the new year culture of the Philippines.
I met a hearty and fantastic dinner table than I expect when I arrived at her house.
Marshmallows and cuted watermelon. Watermelon is especially necessary because the red color. They believed the red color is blessed good fortunes and driving out evil spirits.
and Adobo chickens and coconut toasts. Adobo chicken is traditional and kindness food of Philippine. but she cooked fusion style with Korean sources called gochujang. It was little spicy.
Colorful fruits plate was the important part in the day of the dinner table. Round fruits are fresh and good ones because that means money. and those shouldn’t be placed the same type. If was so beautiful plating.
It was a really strange food. Wow … curious combination of hot dogs marshmallows will not be traditional. She wass very creative!
She was ready for a lot of things. We did not eat all of them but we were very grateful for her kindness and sincerity. Thank you so much. It was so great time.
How to enjoy Traditional New Year’s Eve in the Philippines she led us are as follows:
1. prepare round types of fruits, put them on biggest platter.
2. Prepare round shape of chocolate and sweets that means lots of money. Prepare to bang instruments or objects, and new red clothes that protect from bed sprits.
3. Eat delicious foods with family and friends. sometime explode firecracker
4. When the midnight, Everyone bang the instrument and everything make loud sounds and celebrate the New Year. They believe Loud sounds drive out the demons. Significantly laughing and chatting with dance music.
5. Prepare the new coins by shaking hands put out and bring good New Year’s fortunes. and then someone throw shine coins in high places with make a wish, Children stretch their hands to get the coin.
6. Enjoy the party all night, change into red clothes.
Happy New Year!!